Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get started at CKMHC?

If you feel you are in crisis, please call us right away at 785-823-6322. After hours, call 785-823-6324. Emergency services are provided 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

get started at CKMHC
To request an appointment, call CKMHC at the number above. A referral is not required. Many individuals are self- or family-referred, others come by recommendation of doctors, schools, friends, or other providers.

How can CKMHC help me?

We help people of all ages -- children, teens, adults -- find new, more effective ways to deal with the challenges and problems everyone encounters at various times in life. Adults often seek assistance with anxiety, loss and grief, depression, relationship difficulties, or parenting challenges, to name just a few. Children and teens may need help with depression, school problems, Attention-Deficit-Hyperactivity-Disorder, acting-out behaviors, etc. We also provide treatment for severe and persistent mental illnesses such as schizophrenia.

Do I need an appointment?

Yes. Appointments may be made by calling the Center at 785-823-6322, toll-free at 800-794-8281.

What will happen during my first visit?

A therapist will meet with you to assess your needs and help decide the focus of your treatment. Information about what you can expect, number of sessions, fees, and other community resources will be discussed. Our goal is to help you arrive at solutions as quickly and cost-effectively as possible.

What will it cost?

Fees vary according to services provided. Most insurance is accepted including Blue Cross and Blue Shield, Medicaid, Medicare, and Tricare. Persons without insurance who live in Central Kansas Mental Health Center’s five-county service area may apply for a discounted fee based on family size and income by submitting proof of income. Medically necessary services will not be denied because of inability to pay. See the fee schedule here.

Back to top

What is a therapist?

Therapists are professionals trained to identify and treat problems related to mental, emotional, and behavioral health, and help people find ways to solve them. At CKMHC, therapists are Qualified Mental Health Professionals with graduate degrees. Each has appropriate training, credentialing, and experience in their area of expertise, and is licensed by the Kansas Behavioral Sciences Regulatory Board.

What if I have an emergency?

CKMHC provides emergency assistance with mental health related issues 24 hours a day, 365 days a year for the Center’s five-county service area. Emergency numbers are 785-823-6324 or toll-free 866-823-6380.

Where are services available?

In addition to our main office in Salina, Center staff have regularly scheduled office hours in our outreach offices located in Abilene, Lincoln, Minneapolis, and Ellsworth. For information on scheduling an appointment in these towns, call 1-800-794-8281.

Back to top

What about medication?

Medications do not cure mental illness. However, they can significantly improve symptoms and help promote recovery and are recognized as essential treatment for some individuals. Discuss this with your therapist or at the Intake Assessment.

Is my information confidential?

CKMHC holds client confidentiality as a sacred value. All state and federal requirements are met or exceeded, including HIPAA regulations. CKMHC also complies with all mandatory reporting requirements. Click here to see our privacy policies.

What if my family member who needs treatment won’t come?

You may encourage them to make a first appointment by explaining what will happen and how it might help, offering to accompany them, asking someone else whom they trust to make the recommendation, or you might seek assistance for yourself. You may also call us to discuss alternatives for encouraging or persuading the family member to make the appointment. In a situation of extreme concern for the safety of your family member or others, there are legal avenues to consider in requiring an individual to be evaluated. The County Attorney or Law Enforcement may be contacted to initiate such action when the question of safety is imminent.

Back to top